Another of the wonderful Women’s Weekly Favourites for my dinner parties 🙂
Orange Syrup Cake
1 tablespoon of finely grated orange rind
1 cup (275g) castor sugar
3 cups (375g) almond meal
3/4 cup (65g) desiccated coconut
3/4 cup (110g) rice flower
1 teaspoon baking powder (Gluten Free)
1 large orange
1/3 cup (75g) castor sugar
1/3 cup (80ml) water
- Grease 21 cm baba pan (or round cake tin if not available)
- Heat oven to 170C
- Beat butter, rind and sugar in a medium sized bowl with electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs – one at a time – butter may curdle (not a problem !)
- Stir in almond meal, coconut, sifted flour and baking powder.
- Spread the cake mixture into prepared pan and into oven for approx 1 hour.
- Test that cake is firm and cooked .
- remove from oven and allow to stand for approx 5 minutes before turning to remove from pan.
- Pour hot syrup over the hot cake.
- Wonderful served hot or cold 🙂
- Using a vegetable peeler – peel the rind of the orange thinly, and then cut the ring into thin, fine strips.
- Squeeze juice from orange (need at least 1/3 cup of juice-80ml)
- Add to a small saucepan with the rind, sugar and water.
- Heat and stir until sugar dissolves without boiling.
- Simmer – uncovered – do not stir – for 5 minutes (ready to pour over cake fresh from oven)
I’d love to know what you think ? or do you have any ideas or recipes to share – please comment below and I’ll get back to you 🙂