Vietnamese Chicken Salad
I like to prepare both the salad and dressing in larger quantities – I love to use the salad for several days with different choices of meat and seafood …. And that dressing, I make in large jars and its wonderful to have on hand if you like Asian influenced meals 😊
Seriously – one of my work crews favourites
I serve with either rice noodles or jasmine rice … lots of dressing 🙂
- 350 grams x leftover roast/rotisserie chicken2 skinless chicken breasts or
- OR, my favourite – 2 skinless chicken breasts
- Massel Chicken stock cube
- Several stems of coriander (Cilantro) including roots are OK
- salt & pepper as required
- 4 shallots | 100 grams peeled, very thinly sliced
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 4 cups | 400 grams Chinese cabbage or green cabbage, core removed, leaves finely shredded
- 2 large carrots, peeled and julienned (cut into matchsticks)
- 1/3 cup Coriander (cilantro), chopped
- 1/4 cup Vietnamese mint or regular mint that you can find at the grocery store chopped
- 1/3 cup Roasted peanuts, roughly chopped, plus extra to serve can sub with Cashews if strict paleo
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Capsicums (Peppers) julienned (cut into strips) – colours of your choice
- Fresh chillies cut finely (absolutely to taste ….)
- 3 tablespoons Fish Sauce
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar/coconut sugar or 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon minced or chopped garlic, about 2 cloves
- 1 teaspoon of fresh ginger finely chopped
- 2 bird’s-eye chillies,
Poaching the Chicken
- Place your chicken breasts in a single layer in the bottom of a large saucepan. Season with salt and pepper, stock cube and coriander (cilantro) and fully cover the chicken with cold water.
- Bring the water to a boil, cover the saucepan and reduce the heat to low.
- Lightly simmer until the chicken breasts are just cooked through, about 15 minutes. Cooking time will vary depending on the thickness of the chicken. Allow chicken to cool in its broth.
- Remove the chicken from the saucepan when cooled. Set aside until your ready to chop or shred for your salad
- As you prepare each of the salad ingredients – add them to a large serving bowl
- To make the dressing, mix together the dressing ingredients in a separate jar/cup and whisk together until well combined.
And just before serving,
- Shred or chop the chicken and put on top of salad in in the bowl.
- Add most of the peanuts and pour over the dressing, season to taste, with freshly ground black pepper. Mix well until the dressing coats the salad ingredients.
- Sprinkle over the remaining chopped roasted peanuts (and serve with a rice or noodle.